I want to see England go back to 4-4-2.. Sort of


I just want to put out my England starting 11 and while this could change before the Euros, I just think I have to state who I would want in the team and the formation I would want to play.

Let's start with the formation. I want to go 4-4-blooming-2. Well sort of, it's also kind of 3-5-2. It's Pochettino inspired and used by Brendan Rodgers during Liverpool's title charge with Suarez.

If it is 4-4-2 then it is the diamond formation. For me, we don't have any decent out and out wingers. Sterling is arguably the only one and he also plays well in the middle. I think we should make our full backs, wing backs. I have said many times that I think the wing backs are really important to a team and believe that it is a position we need to utilise. Both Rose and Clyne are having very good seasons in those positions. 

So as you will see below, it's a 4-4-2 diamond formation or possibly even a 3-5-2. 


I am not going to go into too much detail. For me Jagielka and Cahill are still our best defenders. I think Smalling is entirely overrated, as is John Stones. We could play them for experience sake but I don't think they are actually the better pairing.

I think Dier has cemented his place as a defensive midfielder. As for the rest of the midfield, I think there is plenty of room to play around. I think we have many options to play in the number 10 position and I think Alli can move deeper into midfield. Sterling, Lallana and even Rooney can fill these roles as can a few others (Not Jack Wilshere). I just think Alli and Barkley have had good enough seasons to warrant a place and Henderson's engine can give us real control in midfield. Between the three of them I think you have a very dynamic midfield.

Then you have to play Vardy and Kane up top. They look like they would make a great pair. We have great options if not, Sturridge, Rooney possibly Welbeck. 


And last but not least, I think Hart will still get the number 1 jersey. Fraser Forster will push him for it but Hart actually rarely doesn't turn up for England or Manchester City. 

This is the team I would start if the Euros were taking place right now. I hope all these players continue their good form. We have decent back up for a lot of the players but none of the 21 are really boasting world class talent so I don't think we can expect to win the competition. However, for me, if we play good football and actually try to move the ball forward quickly and with purpose then I will be happy. 

Comments

Popular Posts